Donald A. Strauss Scholarship
The Donald A. Strauss Public Service Scholarship Foundation was created as a memorial to the late Don Strauss, who demonstrated a strong, lifelong commitment to public service and education. The Foundation annually awards $15,000 to no fewer than 14 California college sophomores or juniors who have reflected a similar commitment.
- Campus Deadline: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 5:00 pm Haas 111, Haas Center**SUBMIT EARLY: This deadline is strict.**
- Register for the Strauss Info Session, Wednesday, November 28 at 5pm in Haas 212, Haas Center
- Award: Up to $15,000 ($7,000 educational scholarship; $8,000 project grant funding)
- Campus liaison: Eden Mekonen (email@example.com)
- More information at: The Strauss Foundation national website
External or Stanford Award:
Administered by Stanford
Haas Center for Public Service
The Foundation will award scholarships to full-time students at our pre-selected four-year California colleges or universities who have:
- have demonstrated an interest in public service
- outstanding leadership potential
- developed and can demonstrate effective communication skills
- the desire to “make a difference” in local, regional, national or international communities
- one or two years remaining until graduation
- a GPA in the upper 1/3 of their class
- submitted an innovative, original, public service project proposal
- Campus orientation requirements: contact Eden Mekonen
Submit the following materials to the Emerson Fellowship Team Office (Haas Center, Morgan Room 111) by the campus deadline, 5:00 pm on Tuesday, February 5, 2019:
A committee of Stanford staff and faculty will review applications and select Strauss campus nominees. Applications are reviewed by a campus screening committee to determine which three applicants are nominated by Stanford University and submitted to the Strauss Scholarship Foundation for consideration. The Foundation Trustees make the final decision about scholarship recipients near the end of spring quarter.
More information and sample proposals are available from the Strauss Foundation.
You are strongly encouraged to consult with your faculty mentors on the application.