Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation

Community Service Work-Study

*COVID-19 Update: 
Until further notice, the CSWS Program for the Academic Year (2020-2021) can only support virtual partnerships and remote-only work. Students are not allowed to attend their job in-person, as it can only be done online for this school year (see "Remote Work Exception" at the bottom of this page). All dates, deadlines, and policies are subject to change given the conditions of the pandemic and regulations set forth by the university. The CSWS resources and applications will be updated with any future changes.

Work a summer or part-time job while contributing to your community through Community Service Work-Study (CSWS).

What is CSWS?

Trisha Litong

The Community Service Work-Study Program provides academic year and summer employment opportunities for currently enrolled students who receive financial aid at Stanford. It allows them to combine the financial need to work with the personal goal of helping the community.

Eligible students have the freedom to design a service experience in collaboration with a partnering organization. Placements during the academic year are on campus or in the local community. Summer placements can be at qualified organizations anywhere in the United States.

CSWS is a federally-supported program, co-administered for Stanford by the Haas Center and the Financial Aid Office. Full-time, quarter-long opportunities are also part of the Cardinal Quarter program.

How does it work?

All work-study students are employed through Stanford University. The federal government and Stanford University cover 90% of the student's wages and benefits, and the community partner organization contributes the remaining 10% of the wages. The Financial Aid Office determines eligibility and the maximum earnings each student is allowed per quarter during the academic year. The 2020 Summer program wage is set at $19.00/hr and $7,000 /quarter. This wage is subject to change, per University policy.

Am I eligible?

Currently enrolled undergraduate students who have a financial aid package may qualify for CSWS, with the following exceptions:

  • International students are not eligible.
  • Seniors who are graduating from Stanford are not eligible the summer after their senior year.

All applicants must obtain an authorization form to verify their work-study eligibility from the Financial Aid Office.

Apply Now on the SOLO Portal.

Where can I get more information?

See the FAQs on the CSWS Resources page (scroll down), or schedule an appointment with CSWS Program Director Yvette Zepeda.

CSWS information sessions are held throughout winter and early spring. Check the Haas Center calendar for upcoming sessions.

Peer advisors

CSWS Peer Advisors are current Stanford students who can help answer your questions about the program. Please email them to set up a virtual appointment.

Remote Work Exception (2020-2021)

Regular remote work is typically not allowed as part of our CSWS program, but due to the current public health emergency, exceptions to this policy will be made. A remote-based service experience will be considered and supported if:

  • The work can be completed remotely.
  • The community partner organization is willing and able to supervise an intern working from a remote location.
  • There are substantial and sufficient work projects that can be completed remotely to warrant a full-time, nine-week opportunity (a limited number of part-time opportunities are available)

If you have questions, please contact Yvette Zepeda.