Public Service Careers
Finding work in public service can seem daunting, but it doesn't need to be. Take the steps and leverage the resources below to facilitate your transition into a public service career!
Join the Public Service Careers Network - for Juniors and Seniors
Are you really passionate about finding a meaningful job in public service but unsure of where to start? Look no further! There are resources and a community of like-minded peers just for you!
Activate the Public Service Job Search Support Guarantee! Sign up here: bit.ly/PSCN2022
The Haas Center for Public Service, Stanford Career Education, and the Stanford Alumni Association, as part of the Cardinal Careers initiative, are committed to supporting students aspiring to public service jobs and careers. If you are actively seeking a public service or social impact position, our team pledges to support you through advising until you receive a job offer.
To active your public service job search support guarantee, you are invited to join the Public Service Careers Network. The Public Service Careers Network provides an innovative, structured program and community for juniors and seniors exploring and pursuing public service careers.
This support includes, but is not limited to:
- A structured program to support you throughout your job or internship search this year
- Priority access to the 2-unit fall quarter course, "Public Service and Social Impact: Pathways to Purposeful Careers"
- Career coaching or advising appointments to fit your needs
- Skills workshops such as networking, resume and cover letter writing, and interviewing
- Alumni advising
- A supportive community of other students passionate about public service careers
Requirements for participation:
- Starting your junior or senior year as an undergraduate at Stanford
- Completion of the fall quarter course, "Public Service and Social Impact: Pathways to Purposeful Careers" (cross listed in urban studies, CSRE, English, international relations, public policy, political science, and symbolic systems)
- Participation in a quarterly PSCN gathering
- Participation in 2 or 3 alumni advising sessions during winter quarter
Please send any questions to Querida De La Stukes at firstname.lastname@example.org
Clarify Your Path
- Get started with the Steps to Finding Public Service Career Opportunities complete guide
- Leverage our Pursuing a Career with Impact Guide, organized by service theme, to explore fellowships and organizations in your area of interest
- Sign up for the Cardinal Careers Newsletter to receive a weekly email of career events to help you explore options as well as job, fellowship and internship opportunities.
- Sign up for advising with a Cardinal Careers advisor (scroll down to the Public Service & Social Impact advising category) or BEAM career coach
- Familiarize yourself with the typical Public Service Job Application Timeline
- Identify your preferred Pathways of Public Service and Civic Engagement
- Explore opportunities in local government through this two-page guide.
- Prepare for a public interest technology job search with this infographic and video
- Stay on track with our year-by-year checklists: Frosh, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior
Connect with Guides and Mentors
- Get career advice from an alumni mentor on SAM
- Learn more about different career paths through informational interviewing
- Find alumni in your field of interest on LinkedIn and find their email addresses and Stanford affiliations on the Alumni Directory
- Sign up for the Cardinal Careers Newsletter to receive a weekly email of curated public service jobs, fellowships, and internships with upcoming deadlines.
- Apply for a Cardinal Careers Fellowship: Stanford-exclusive, mentored, first career opportunities for graduating seniors and coterms. Apply on campus in January and February.
- Leverage our Guide to Public Service Careers by Service Themes to find fellowships and sample organizations by your area of interest
- Find public service jobs listed on Handshake
- Participate in a public service internship through Cardinal Quarter
- Join our Public Service Jobs for Stanford Alumni Linkedin group
- Continue your search on external job and fellowship websites
Present Yourself Well
- Document your experiences and accomplishments using a resume template
- Learn how to match your resumes and cover letters to job descriptions
- Shape the narrative of your application by drafting an effective cover letter
- Hone your interviewing skills with these sample interview questions and this practice platform
Sign up for the Cardinal Careers Newsletter to receive public service jobs, fellowships, and internships right to your inbox! You can also elect to receive the new Public Interest Technology weekly edition.
Not seeing a resource on here that you need? Email us your feedback!