Public Service Careers
Finding work in public service can seem daunting, but it doesn't need to be. Take the steps and leverage the resources below to facilitate your transition into a public service career!
Clarify Your Path
- Get started with the Steps to Finding Public Service Career Opportunities complete guide
- Leverage our Pursuing a Career with Impact Guide, organized by service theme, to explore fellowships and organizations in your area of interest
- Sign up for the Cardinal Careers Newsletter to receive a weekly email of career events to help you explore options as well as job, fellowship and internship opportunities.
- Sign up for advising with a Cardinal Careers advisor (scroll down to the Public Service & Social Impact advising category) or Stanford Career Education career coach
- Familiarize yourself with the typical Public Service Job Application Timeline
- Identify your preferred Pathways of Public Service and Civic Engagement
- Explore opportunities in local government through this two-page guide.
- Prepare for a public interest technology job search with this infographic and video
- Stay on track with our year-by-year checklists: Frosh, Sophomore, Junior, and Senior
Connect with Guides and Mentors
- Get career advice from an alumni mentor on SAM
- Learn more about different career paths through informational interviewing
- Find alumni in your field of interest on LinkedIn and find their email addresses and Stanford affiliations on the Alumni Directory
- Sign up for the Cardinal Careers Newsletter to receive a weekly email of curated public service jobs, fellowships, and internships with upcoming deadlines.
- Apply for a Cardinal Careers Fellowship: Stanford-exclusive, mentored, first career opportunities for graduating seniors and coterms. Apply on campus in January and February.
- Leverage our Guide to Public Service Careers by Service Themes to find fellowships and sample organizations by your area of interest
- Find public service jobs listed on Handshake
- Participate in a public service internship through Cardinal Quarter
- Join our Public Service Jobs for Stanford Alumni Linkedin group
- Continue your search on external job and fellowship websites
Present Yourself Well
- Document your experiences and accomplishments using a resume template
- Learn how to match your resumes and cover letters to job descriptions
- Shape the narrative of your application by drafting an effective cover letter
- Hone your interviewing skills with these sample interview questions and this practice platform
Sign up for the Cardinal Careers Newsletter to receive public service jobs, fellowships, and internships right to your inbox! You can also elect to receive the new Public Interest Technology weekly edition.
Not seeing a resource on here that you need? Email us your feedback!